Saturday, May 7, 2011

Review: The Summer of Firsts and Lasts by Terra Elan McVoy

Title: The Summer of Firsts and Lasts
Author: Terra Elan McVoy
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Publish Date: May 3, 2011
Genre: YA, contemporary
Pages: 434
Source: From publisher through GalleyGrab

Synopsis:
Three sisters. One life-changing summer.

Calla loves summer because summer means Duncan. They’ve been best friends for years, but Calla has never worked up the nerve to tell him how she really feels. This summer, the summer before college, is Calla's last chance.

Violet isn't much of a rule breaker in real life. But this isn't real life, this is summer, and Violet is determined to make the most of it. Besides, a little sneaking out never hurt anyone. And sneaking out with James is 100% worth the risk...even though James is completely off-limits.

Daisy has never been the sister that boys notice, but when sparks fly with Joel at the first bonfire of summer, it seems so easy and right. So why is being his girlfriend so complicated?


Books about sisters have been catching my eye recently, and that’s why I picked up THE SUMMER OF FIRSTS AND LASTS. It sounded like a cute story about three sisters who are very close. And it was! I thought it would be nice to read, since I’m one of three girls, too, but it was a lot different from what I expected!

I liked how the three sisters were all narrators. They each had their own individual voice and I rarely got confused about whose head I was in. Calla is a perfectionist and people-pleaser, and a really hard worker, but also love-stuck with her camp best friend Duncan. Violet is the boy magnet who mostly wanted to let go and break the rules with her new friend Brynn. Daisy is the youngest who likes to keep to herself, but when some of her cabin-mates start bullying her, it’s hard to keep quiet. Each of these sisters was so different from the other, but they also fit together so well to be there and support each other. These three camp weeks really tested their loyalty and sisterly bonds.

The ending really surprised me. I was expecting everything to end up peachy perfect by the time the three week camp was up, and the sisters would be closer than ever, but I can’t say that’s exactly how it went. I was left wondering “Is that really how she’s going to end it?”, but at the same time it worked really well for these girls and their story. It is a stand-alone, and it works like that. Calla, Violet, and Daisy are ready to move on after camp.

If you’re looking for a cute summer read that contains themes of family, love, acceptance, and moving on, then this is a great one to pick up. I had so much fun at camp with these girls, and I bet you will, too.

buy the book from The Book Depository, free delivery

No comments:

Post a Comment