Saturday, June 9, 2012

Review: Intangible by J. Meyers

Title: Intangible
Author: J. Meyers
Publisher: self-published
Publish Date: January 31, 2012
Genre: YA, paranormal
Pages: 264 (ebook)
Source: From author for review
Series: Intangible #1
0.5. Intuition
1. Intangible
2. Untitled
Synopsis:
Twins Sera and Luke Raine have a well-kept secret—she heals with a touch of her hand, he sees the future. All their lives they’ve helped those in need on the sly. They’ve always thought of their abilities as being a gift.

Then Luke has a vision that Sera is killed. That gift they’ve always cherished begins to feel an awful lot like a curse. Because the thing about Luke’s ability? He’s always right. And he can’t do anything about it.


Intangible was written in a really interesting way. It was told from third person, but we didn’t only follow Luke and Sera’s specific stories. We also followed Fey, Jonas, and Marc. These five characters were all used to tell Luke and Sera’s story, and I thought it was awesome. I loved watching the characters piece together the story, while I knew things they didn’t. That being said, J. Meyers was also careful to not give up too much information. So I was still able to be surprised and guessing throughout the book.

I really enjoyed all of the characters. None of them made a huge impression individually, but I love the dynamic of the five of them together. I especially liked the relationship between Luke and Sera. I can’t imagine what it would be like to have such a strong bond with anyone, but it sounds fantastic. Marc and Jonas were good characters. I could never really decide if I liked or hated either of them. Their parts in the story were just so open-ended. I thought it was a bit odd when it seemed like there may be a romantic connection between Jonas and Sera, but just because he seemed so much more like a protective father (or older brother) figure to her. One character I never really understood was Luke and Sera’s mother. I found she acted and sounded more like a teenager than any of the other characters in the book. It kind of threw me for a loop every time she was in a scene.

The story was exciting, it kept me reading. There were a few times I was surprised by things I hadn’t expected to happen. I think my favourite character to follow was Marc because his story was the most intriguing to me. I wanted to know who he was working for, why he had the problems he did, and so on. All the action that surrounded Jonas was fun. I liked reading him in action.

Intangible is a book that will keep you reading. It gives you a lot of characters to be interested in, and one of them is bound to hold your attention. The mystery of who Luke and Sera are, and how it’s not entirely unraveled yet, means I will definitely be awaiting the next book in the series.

Thanks to the author herself for the ebook review copy!


1 comment:

  1. Great review. I really enjoyed this book as well. I'm looking forward to the next book.

    ReplyDelete